How important is a college entrance essay?
Is it more important or just as important as grades and test scores?
College admission officials look at a number of factors, including grades, the schools you attended, and a student’s background, when deciding who gets admitted. An essay can be one of the deciding factors.
Admissions officials are not looking for Pulitzer Prize-winning essays or a dramatic four-act play that can earn you a Tony Award nomination. What they are looking for are well-crafted essays that show your true personality.
Some colleges may ask you:
• Why are you interested in this particular college?
• What are your life goals?
• What are your passions, your interests, your experiences?
• How do you react when you’re faced with a challenge?
• What makes you stand out?
In other words, colleges want to know: Who are you?