MANA'S SHORT STORY SERIES LIST ON SIDE COLUMN

A MANA Moment Editorial: Exercise Your Right To Vote

Dr. Fairy Hayes-Scott
Owner
MarketingNewAuthors.com
Robbie Dean Press

When I was a little girl, I would go with my Mom to the voting polls. Even though my Dad worked two and three jobs, he made it his top priority to make time to vote. 


As a matter of fact, my whole family felt it was crucial that they vote. Keep in mind the flexibility for people with tight work schedules to vote was not as open as it is now. Regardless of schedules, I knew that voting was very important.


One of those days when I was little, I asked why voting was necessary. I asked my mom why was it so important. "Pumpkin, you know that your family is from Mississippi and Alabama."


"Yes, I know that."


"Well, when your Mommy and Daddy and your uncles and aunts grew up there, it was very difficult for Black folks to vote. As a matter of fact, some Black folks lost their lives. Even your Aunt F____ and Uncle N______ and your cousins had to move to California in fear for their lives."


Then, as I became older, I started paying attention to the national news. There were Andrew Goodman, James Cheney, and Michael Schwerner. These young Civil Rights workers lost their lives in 1964 because they were trying to register Black people in Mississippi to vote.

And I recall the death of Civil Rights leader Medgar Evers. I know this man lost his life because of his commitment to making people aware of the importance of voting.


As a child, a teen, and now a publisher and retired educator, I cherish and respect those who lost their lives to make it possible for me to vote. No, I do not tell people for whom to vote. I respect every person’s freedom to vote for whomever s/he feels meets the qualifications needed for that office. 


I just feel so strongly that if many people were beaten or murdered so that every American would have the right to vote, every American owes those who died that much. 


I am so very concerned about the importance of the vote that it is difficult for me to understand why people do not register and vote. So, I do hope readers of this post will be sure to register and vote AND encourage family members, friends, students, and co-workers to take advantage of their American right. 


It would be good for us to appreciate all that we, as Americans, have to be grateful for and treasure.



Fairy

Editor's note: Every state has its own voter registration deadline. To find your state and begin the registration process, visit the website, vote.gov. Then, select your state or territory. Depending on its rules, you will find instructions on how to register online, by mail, or in person at your local election office. 



No comments:

Post a Comment