MANA'S SHORT STORY SERIES LIST ON SIDE COLUMN

A MANA Moment Editorial: In Celebration of Mother's Day

By Dr. Fairy Hayes-Scott
Owner
MarketingNewAuthors.com
Robbie Dean Press


This season celebrates a very special day for me—Mother's Day. This day's celebration of mothers is well-deserved. At least I know my mother, Fairy Dean Hayes, deserved to be recognized. She and I had a very special relationship. She and I shared so much. She was my confidant. I could talk with her about anything. 

When I had to deal with bullying in elementary school, she was the person with whom I could share my tears and gain advice on how to cope. When I had my first kiss, she was the first person I shared this "monumental" event of my teen life. 

When I experienced a major challenge during my early years as a teacher, she was there for me. It was she who reminded me, "Pumpkin, do you still have the Bible I gave you?" I replied affirmatively. She shared I should pray Psalms 91. I did. Of course, more than Divine intervention occurred. Still, she was there with valuable advice. And the situation was resolved as well as others.

And I served as her confidant. From a very young age, I witnessed domestic violence. My Mommy managed to talk with me in such a way as not to justify what I saw but try to understand and never stop loving and respecting my Dad. 

And I learned from her actions to strive for the highest degree in the profession I could attain. Watching her earn her bachelor's and master's degrees inspired me to do the same, if not more. 

Most importantly, I watched her provide the tremendous support she gave my Dad when he experienced the onset of dementia. I learned just how dear the support of a spouse during sickness meant to her and provided me with a clear role model to follow as a wife.

As a little girl, I recall hearing her on the phone say to a lady who asked her to join this prestigious club: "I thank you, but I am committed to the little brown girl here. She is my club." When I became a mom, I remembered those words. And I have tried to emulate her behavior with my children. They have been my club.

My Mommy passed in 2005. However, the relationship I had with her stays with me to this day. And so, this is my reason for keeping dear to my heart this very uplifting season of Spring.


No comments:

Post a Comment