MANA'S SHORT STORY SERIES LIST ON SIDE COLUMN

A MANA Moment Editorial: Celebrating National Reading Month!

By Dr. Fairy Hayes-Scott
Owner
MarketingNewAuthors.com
Robbie Dean Press

Fondly, I recall how my mother opened the world to me by the reading of books. Before I even knew myself, it was she who would read to me just before I went to sleep. 

And when I could read, she introduced sensitive subjects, for example, sex. I recall shock, and I ran back to where she was washing clothes and asked, "You and Daddy did that? Ughh!" 

However, it was through our discussions about so many subjects presented in books that my mother and I developed a very special bond.

I managed to establish that same bond with my children, especially my daughter. My stepson would be with us every other weekend, but it was my daughter whom I read to her The Cat in the Hat, Good Night, Moon, and so many more works every night. 

And every Sunday morn, we would read a passage from the Bible, play chess, and share any concerns she may have had with me. This was when I had to "zip my lip" and listen to her point of view. And to this day, when she visits, we still read a Biblical passage and have that special mother-daughter chat (she has less concerns about me, now‚ whew!).

National Reading Month is a celebration of bonds established between loved ones who read, found joy, experienced warmth, and established deep-seated relationships that will never be broken.


No comments:

Post a Comment