MANA'S SHORT STORY SERIES LIST ON SIDE COLUMN

MANA Celebrates Poetry: The Language of Love

In celebration of Black History Month and February being the "Month of Love," listen to Dr. Fairy Hayes-Scott as she does interpretive readings of the following poems: 

"Love At First Sight" and "Soul Mate" from Touchings of the Heart: Legacy of a Lady by Linda Diana Franshun Callahan.



"A Stranger's Touch" by Ronald P. Waters and "Invisible Attraction" by Andre P. Shuford from Bare Essentials: A Handbook for Beginner Writers, 19th ed. by Fairy C. Hayes-Scott, Ph.D.




"Now I Know What Love Is" by Elesia K. Powell, from the poetry collection, Sweet Ache.




Listen to the poems and follow along by reading them below: 



LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT

When our eyes met the clouds bumped heads,
The earth shook like the awakening dead. 
The moon beamed with an exquisite glow,
The rivers ceased its raging and roaring flow.
The stars danced until bright day light,
The day star’s smile was jubilantly bright. 
The birds began to sing a beautiful love song,
In the tune of “You’ll Never Walk Alone.”
For when our eyes met, instantly I knew,
That you completed me, and I complete you.


SOULMATE

Thou art my celestial tree of love,
When I’m with you I soar to the
glorious height of the heavens above.
Thou alone reside in my pavilion of eternity,
For you have captured the very soul of me.
Thou consoled my grieving heart when my whole world seemed blue,
I know within my heart that
you are my,
Soulmate for our love is true.


A STRANGER'S TOUCH

Walking down the street
My hand brushed against yours
And in the moment of our touch
I felt the warmth of your soul
As my soul cried out for me to stop
And hold onto your hand
An instant that would last an eternity
Expired and in its passing you slipped on
by
In back of the crowd I had just passed
through
I turned around as fast as I could
Hoping if I fell, it would be in your arms.


INVISIBLE ATTRACTION

Noticed your beauty
The first time you crossed my sight
Stared at your presence
When I thought you weren't looking
Admired your features from safely across
the room
Blinded by your aura
As it illuminated brightly
Listened to your voice and the sweet melody it sang
Vibed on your conversation and the
touching thoughts you provoked
Wanted to be closer but afraid you could
not catch on
Curious to touch your cocoa-buttered,
caramel skin
Closed my eyes to imagine more clearly my distant dream
Wondered what it would be like
To run in your mental to share your hopes.


Now I Know What Love Is

I hold you in my arms
Knowing you are as much
A part of me as my own heart
You sigh with relief
Triumphant in this struggle
A prelude to the journey
Innocent eyes captivate me as
I wait for what seems an eternity
Before you call my name
Your first steps taken with trust
Albeit unsteady
As you bloom
My reflection is greater
This pure love unconditional
As a mother's love should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment