MANA'S SHORT STORY SERIES LIST ON SIDE COLUMN

A MANA Moment Editorial: Diary Entries Bring Together Past Holidays and Future Hopes

By Dr. Fairy Hayes-Scott
Owner, MarketingNewAuthors.com


At age 13, I began my first entry in my diary. Now, I have volumes of diaries from the 60s to now. I am a sentimental person. So, keeping in mind the season, I have re-read diary entries of past Christmas holidays that I want to share with you.

• Dec. 25, 1965–At Midnight Mass I received my First Holy Communion [I was a convert to Catholicism during my teen years]. I felt so clean and pure. I intend to keep that feeling.

Christmas was very nice.

• Dec. 25, 1970—Allan [a friend in my teen years] and I went to see RYAN'S DAUGHTER, a very good movie. I really enjoyed it and I enjoyed Allan's company.

Mark did not call me. Oh well, at least I had a good friend who added to the joy of Christmas.

• Dec. 25, 1976—A pleasant Christmas, indeed. I visited Uncle Tom and Aunt Rose and Grandma and Aunt Mattie. Grandma really looked good. Gee, I am so fond of her. I am grateful that God has let her remain sharp in the mind. It would be very difficult for Aunt Mattie if this were not so.

I enjoyed home very much. I also realized how lovably and kookie parents can be. I wonder if will I be the same way if blessed with children. I hope my children put up with my ways and love me as much as I do Mommy and Daddy. They are jewels whom I treasure very much.

This is going to be a busy semester. I'll need Your help and of my Heavenly Friends' prayers and help. I'll be teaching 5 classes and taking 2 courses [for my Ph.D.]. I also pray that I pass my general exams. I'm going to try. However, I realize I cannot make it alone.

My New Year's resolution is to make myself remember that and let the Almighty help. It seems when I put things in His hands matters work out fine. So, Help!

• Dec. 25, 1996—Thank You, Sir, for a very, merry, Merry Christmas. We realize, my hubby, son, daughter, and I, that You have blessed us beyond words. We have a loving home, a good family, and good friends. Thank You!

Happy Birthday to You!

I wanted to make sure my daughter never forgets what Christmas is really about. She reads about Your birth in the gospel of St. Luke. I pray that what I am trying to teach doesn't get lost in "the nineties."

Was my Christmas nice? Yes!!! Thank You!!!!

When I began writing my diary entries, I hoped that it would help any future children and grandchildren I have to know me better, to know that family is most important just as true friends are. They need to know and I need to remember that I have had challenging times and managed to overcome those challenges and so will they...

What do these diary entries bring to my mind? Every Christmas I celebrated with people whom I loved. For my first Communion, my mother was with me. In 1970, a dear friend brought joy during that holiday season when my dude did not even call me during the Christmas holidays. 

In 1976, I spent time with special people. In 1996, I continued to spend good times with my family and appreciated them. Also, had more apprehensions about an upcoming intense semester I would be teaching and a very important exam to determine if I would be accepted into the doctoral program of the University of Michigan.

When I pass, I hope my daughter and granddaughter will keep in mind that family and friends will always be there for them, and they should do the same for those they love. And they must always remember that, whenever they feel challenges are so great, they will overcome them with the help of their Spiritual Maker.

Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment