MANA'S SHORT STORY SERIES LIST ON SIDE COLUMN

A Q&A With Hilary George, Author of "From War to When"

 Hilary George
MarketingNewAuthors.com welcomes Hilary George, author of From War to When. Although Hilary calls herself a "rookie writer," she has indeed written "80 pages of literary paradise on earth" as one reader so aptly described her collection of poetry.

Hilary was born in Singapore of British parents. After fleeing the Japanese invasion early in World War II, Hilary, with her mother and sister, two tin trunks of possessions and five English pounds, found themselves refugees in a strange, new land – Australia.  Hilary and her husband worked two years as missionaries in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea. She has lived in the United States for the past 34 years. Her book, From War to When reflects her experiences.

MANA: Briefly describe to readers what From War to When is about.
Hilary George (HG): From War to When depicts some of my life experiences, how they affected me and what I learned from them. It ends with a letter to my children followed by a prayer for everyone.

MANA: Would you explain to readers what the title of the book, From War to When mean? It's assumed that the war is about World War II but what does "When" mean?
HG: World War II changed my life forever but my story is not finished yet. The "When" will be the fulfillment of lifetime hopes and dreams.
MANA: Why did you decide to write From War to When?
HG: After unsuccessfully trying to write my autobiography, I longed to express my feelngs in words. My husband suggested trying to write (it as poetry).

MANA: At what point in your life did you realize that you were a poet?
HG:  As I constantly ask for my husband's advice and seek God's help with thoughts, a word or a phrase, I have never viewed myself as a poet.

MANA: Did you write any poems in Australia during the War?
HG: When we fled to Singapore, I was only 3 years old and I was in my 60s before I wrote any poems.

MANA: Which poem in From War to When is your favorite and why?
HG:  I don't know that I have a favorite poem but "Daddy Won't Come Home" (see below for poem) was the most difficult to write and still brings tears to my eyes.

MANA:  Who are your writing influencers (writers, books, movies, teachers, family, friends)?
HG:  My mother, an avid reader, had a wonderful vocabulary and belonged to an elite writer's guild in London. My preacher husband is a great adviser and my Bible is my constant inspiration. 

MANA: When and where do you write?
HG:  I would love to tell you that I write in my own quiet office but that's too far from the truth. I'm usually propped up in bed early morning balancing pad and pencil on my legs. At times, it's during the night, in a plane, car, coffee shop or even in a bathroom.

MANA: What do you want readers to take away from your book?
HG: By the end of my book, I trust readers will take away a clear answer to my opening questions, "God! What or Who is He," and a new understanding of Who God really is, what He has done and what He can do for them.

MANA: Are you working on another project? If so, can you tell us what it is?
HG: I have compiled two of three books (one year) of very short inspirational thoughts for every day. Also a project closest to my heart is an easy reference collection of topical selections adapted from The King James Bible under 20 such headings as "Comfort," "Fear," "Forgiveness," and "Wisdom."


Daddy Won't Come Home

Civil engineer in Singapore. 
Volunteer army night before.
Major now, standing tall and lean.
What changes could have been,
Had S.S. Kuala reached me. 

Before sailing from terror,
There's nothing I remember.
Crystal clear since then,
When my memory kicked in.

Only three when those words were heard.
"Daddy, Where are you?
Who are you? Someone adored?"
Memories shattered by war.

How I've needed you.
Searched faces to find
This Daddy of mine,

Brought only to mind by pictures I find.

Awaking heartbroken to see
In those dreams only
You're with me.
Your place in my heart still denied.

Never unloved.
Just part of me missing;
Hugging and kissing,
Playing games, going fishing.



To preview, From War to When by Hilary George, visit the book's webpage on MANA's website by clicking HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment