MANA'S SHORT STORY SERIES LIST ON SIDE COLUMN

Author Describes How Her Life Changed in "One Split Second"


One split second can change your life forever. Author Suzan Bryan Hoppe knew this all too well. As a wife, mother, insurance agent, and an active member of her church, Suzan's life was anything but boring. 
All was going well until one day, every parents' nightmare occurred: Her son, Danny, was involved in a serious accident that left him with a closed-head injury. Suzan described the tragedy in her non-fiction book, One Split Second. She and her husband, Doug, experienced the stages that families must go through in order to help their child heal. 
If that weren't enough, Suzan supported her husband, Doug, as he encountered lung problems, back surgery and open heart surgery. All the while, Suzan kept up her pace of helping family members, volunteering, attending head injury meetings, and working. 
At one point, she was preparing for a business trip to Indiana and was looking forward to relaxing and being with her friends. Before traveling to Indiana, she attended a trustee meeting at her church one evening. It was there that her head began to ache. Her headache continued when she got home. Suzan described that evening: 


As I shut the garage door and dropped my briefcase in its usual corner, Doug asked how the meeting went. “I don’t want to talk about it now. I’ve got an awful headache. I’m going to bed.” Nightgown on, two aspirins downed, I fell into the bed. Doug made a trip up to check on me, put a cool cloth on my head and returned back downstairs to watch the rest of the TV show alone.
When he came up to go to bed himself, Doug tells me I got up. Dizzy, nauseous, and feeling even worse, I suggested to him that he should just cut my head off because the pain was so bad and proceeded to the bathroom where I vomited blood and fell unconscious to the bathroom floor.
Suzan woke up in a hospital, having suffered a brain aneurysm which she said was brought on by stress. Once again, one split second changed her life. Suzan struggled to understand what was going on.
What happened to me? Why don’t I know what’s going on? I’m always in control, always in charge. Aren’t I the one who chairs the committees, runs the office, gets things done? Why won’t they listen to me now?
Suzan went on to describe her experiences in recovering from her illness and her rehabilitation. Not only does this book deal with how an illness affects a family, but the author also describes the toll it can take on a marriage. Despite her problems, every chapter contains humor, pathos, and proof that every individual has an indomitable spirit. 
Suzan has since died, but her book lives on. Suzan and Doug weathered the storm and succeeded in forging a stronger marriage until her death. This is a must-read book for anyone going through similar circumstances in their marriage or with a family member. 
Go here to the website of MarketingNewAuthors.com to find out more about One Split Second.

No comments:

Post a Comment