MANA'S SHORT STORY SERIES LIST ON SIDE COLUMN

MANA's Award-Winning Author Elesia K. Powell Has A Passion For Poetry

Elesia K. Powell

Elesia K. Powell will tell you that she's passionate about poetry and it becomes apparent after reading her works. She incorporates her life 
experiences into her poetry. For instance, her travels throughout the United States, Europe, and the West Indies are reflected throughout her writings.

Ms. Powell, an educator, and public speaker, has won the prestigious University of Michigan Hopwood Award, an annual contest that awards prizes to U-M students for creative non-fiction, fiction, and poetry. 

In addition, Ms. Powell was also MarketingNewAuthors.com's (MANA's) 2014 Passion For Poetry Poet Contest winner. For winning the contest, MANA published her work titled, Sweet Ache: Poetry of the Soul, a collection of poems that reflects a combination of Jamaican and American heritage. 

There is an undercurrent rhythm and beat in her work that engages a reader. Although the subject matter of the poems varies, the spirit of the works consistently emanates throughout every poem. 

An example of this is the following poem, "Sweet Ache," the title of the book: 

Surrounded by the beauty of lush valleys,
The tropical breezes blow large green leaves,
Exposing the fruit hidden beneath.
I choose the just ripe Mango, papaya, and star fruit;
I slice them into jars,The mango and papaya in the center,
The star fruit toward the outer edges of the jars.
I fill each one with coconut water and sugar.
I want it so sweet
That their teeth will ache,
Like my insides do from wanting you.
I seal the jars and tie them with a bright ribbon
Before I take them to market to sell.
I call it Sweet Ache,
Homemade love in a bottle
with all I have for you
Locked in these jars.
Only the tourists buy my treats.
The natives hear my solitary songs in the night and
Make wide steps around me.
My own voice returns as an echo in darkness,
Sweet Ache I call out,
Homemade love in a bottle.
With each jar sold,
I pray my aching will end.
I return to the valley with Sweet Ache lingering,
Along with the sugar that creases my fingers.
The rain falls on my zinc roof,
Each drop ringing a thousand small bells,
Just a little more sugar.
Sweet Ache.
I slice them into jars,
The mango and papaya in the center,
The star fruit toward the outer edges of the jars.
I fill each one with coconut water and sugar.
I want it so sweetThat their teeth will ache,
Like my insides do from wanting you.
I seal the jars and tie them with a bright ribbon
Before I take them to market to sell.
I call it Sweet Ache,
Homemade love in a bottle
with all I have for you
Locked in these jars.
Only the tourists buy my treats.
The natives hear my solitary songs in the night and
Make wide steps around me.
My own voice returns as an echo in darkness,
Sweet Ache I call out,
Homemade love in a bottle.
With each jar sold,
I pray my aching will end.
I return to the valley with Sweet Ache lingering,
Along with the sugar that creases my fingers.
The rain falls on my zinc roof,
Each drop ringing a thousand small bells,
Just a little more sugar.
Sweet Ache.


A Q&A With Elesia K. Powell 

MANA spoke briefly with Ms. Powell about her favorite literary genre:

MANA: What drew you into writing poetry?
Elesia K. Powell (EKP): Listening to the Last Poets, Nikki Giovanni and Dr. Maya Angelou, they were my inspirations. Poetry was a form of release as a teenager growing up in the Bronx. Essence Magazine published an opinion letter that I had written during that time, and I thought that was important, and I kept writing. However, it would be years before I had the courage to publish.

MANA: Who were your writing influences (writers, books, teachers)?
EKP: I read often, and James Baldwin was one of my favorite authors. Eventually, I fell in love with others as well: Toni Morrison, Gloria Naylor, Alice Walker, J. California Cooper and Flannery O’Conner are a few.

MANA: When and where do you write?
EKP: I would like to be a morning writer. I think it would be great to start my days with a few intense hours of creativity, but I find that I often can’t begin to write until after 7 p.m. I have also noticed that once I begin a writing session it becomes difficult to stop, which means I’m up until the early hours of the morning writing. Right now, I’m trying to stay on target toward my goals of completing a collection of short stories, and two works of non-fiction. I don’t actually work on all of these projects at the same time, but they are all at various levels of completion, and I remind myself that I don’t have forever to work on them.

MANA: What is your award-winning publication, Sweet Ache: Poetry of the Soul about?
EKP: Sweet Ache: Poetry of the Soul is a compilation of free-verse poems that I have been writing for a number of years. There are several themes, but I find that it is mostly about the angst and the glory of relationships. There are a few poems, which touch on political topics and scenes of everyday life. The poetry in Sweet Ache is often vivid and concrete, but there are a few ethereal poems as well.


MANA: Was this your first time entering a contest?
EKP: The MANA poetry contest is the second contest that I entered and won. [When I was] a non-traditional undergraduate student, I entered and won first place in the Avery Hopwood Prize.

MANA: Would you advise writers/poets to enter contests?
EKP: Yes, Poets & Writers Magazine has a calendar of contests for all types of writing.

MANA: What do you want readers to take away from Sweet Ache: Poetry of the Soul after reading it?
EKP: I want to touch their hearts and hope that the poems are relatable in some way.

MANA: What is your advice to new poets who may feel intimidated about having their work published?
EKP: I would tell them to overcome the fear of rejection and move forward with the publication of their work. This is easier said than done, of course, but they still have to do it.


Audio Excerpts of Elesia K. Powell's Poems

MANA's Dr. C reads the poems: 

"Sweet Ache"

"Love Pome"

"Black As"

"Where I Am the Center of the Universe"

"Like New Money"

 


Ms. Powell spoke to a class at Mott Community College. While there she also recited her poem, "Sacrifice/For the Fallen—and those that die tomorrow." The poem comes 17 minutes and 7 seconds (17:07) into her lecture. Follow along by reading the poem below. 

Sacrifice/For the Fallen-And those that die tomorrow


Surge the wave of murderous intent. Genocide/Homicide coupled with the hunt for your head. Skittle carrying N]]]]]]] disturbing the peace.-Travon Martin-Rampant Johnsons’ swinging in white chicks.-Oscar Grant-Mongrel makers of the common sort.-Eric Garner-Sick to death of your poor black/rich black-Nicholas Heyward Jr.-ignorant/educated black. Why are you still here?- Look at the teeth on that beast.-Patrick Moses Donismond-He’ll sell for a mighty price.-Amadou Diallo-Call for the Patty Rollers(Patrolers) my boy got away.-Malcolm Fergurson-Two days labor lost, cotton rotten on the vine. -Ousmane Zongo-Make me a buck when I get him back.-Tim Stansbury-Never mind, I’ll breed em’ myself.-Sean Bell- Spit in your cup, sooner than pick you up. Want you under my feet where you belong.-Romarley Graham-Poking out your black chest.-Tamon Robinson-Don’t you dare lift your eyes to look at me.-Kimani Grey-I’ll lock you up and swallow the key.-Kendrick Johnson-Now, pay me for your labor.-Jordan Davis-You lazy brute.-James Byrd-Too docile to ever conquer me. Have/will crush the head of your unborn/born seed.-Gang/Bang-Bang-Thank god for Thug life. Go and sing your songs. Carry your signs. March a march-Garrick Hopkins-and march a march again.-Carl Hopkins Jr.- I still own you. Mind my mind and coon to my tune/toon, or watch me tax your black/you better ask somebody. Hire you out to war- fields and shoot you in the back. Your righteous indignation fazes me not. I prey, and watch you pray, as I devour your offspring.-Timothy Russell, Ervin Jefferson, Orlando Barlow, Arron Campbell, Victor Steen, Steven Eugene Washington, Alonso Ashley, Wendel Allen, Travares McGill, John Crawford III, Mike Brown…Et al.


To preview Sweet Ache: Poetry of the Soul, and to read more works by Elesia K. Powell, visit the book's page HERE on MANA's website.









Preview the book, Sweet Ache: Poetry of the Soul, here

No comments:

Post a Comment